To plan a trip, enter an origin and destination (labelled 'From' and 'To').
The 'From' and 'To' fields may be used in several ways:
- Enter a train station name, ferry wharf, or stop name (if known), or
- Enter the street number, street name and suburb (eg: 6 Main St Smithfield), or
- Enter a street name and suburb (eg Main St Smithfield), or
- Enter a suburb name only (This is not as precise as the options above)
- Enter a street intersection, for example, George Market. (This is helpful if you are not sure of the suburb, which you may leave out).
- Enter a Landmark name in the search field, eg Hornsby Westfield or State Library. (This is helpful where the system is unable to locate your street name (eg for a very new street).
Selecting Address, Station/Stop, or Landmark
The 'All' option will find matching stops, addresses or landmarks. To be more precise, you can select either Station/Stop, or Address, or Landmark only.
Departure or Arrival Options
Departing 'Today' is the default option. Alternatively, choose the day of travel from the dropdown list.
The time of travel is the current time, to the nearest 5 minutes, by default. To change this, select the hours and minutes from the dropdown list. The time uses a 12 hour clock, so select am or pm.
Select 'Leave After' to produce trip options commencing later than the time displayed.
Select 'Arrive Before' to produce trip options that will get you to your destination before the time displayed.
To plan a trip, click the 'Go' button.
- All train stations and wharves are found by an exact match without the need to enter the word 'station' or 'wharf' (eg Central or Manly).
- If a house number is not found, the system will respond with a list of street intersections.
- If the streets are near a suburb boundary, it may be better not to include a suburb name, eg Eddy Ave (near Central station) is in Haymarket and not Sydney.
- Landmarks in the system include many hospitals, shopping centres, cemeteries, schools, places of worship, Shell and BP service stations and McDonalds restaurants.
More Trip Planning Options
You can select any combination of transport service by ticking the checkboxes against the mode options. Examples include Train only (not Buses) or Bus and Ferry only, or STA School Buses only.
NightRide services and Trackwork buses are found in the category 'Regular Buses'.
Walking speed can be selected from the options: Slow, Normal or Fast. Slow walking will give you more time to reach a stop or destination.
The trip planner lets you select from Shortest Travel Time, Trips with the Least Service Changes, or Trips with the Least Walking.
The 'Shortest Travel Time' option will give you the earliest arrival, but may include one or more service interchanges.
If you select 'Least Service Changes', the trip planner will try to reduce interchanges at the expense of travel time.
Least Walking will try to reduce walking to a minimum, but this will depend on the availability of nearby public transport services.
- Click the arrows to move north, south, east or west respectively.
- Click on the + to Zoom IN on the map, click on the – to Zoom OUT. Remember to centre the map to the area where you want to Zoom in.
- Between the + and – buttons, you can click on the scale to go to one of the 10 zoom levels available.