Plan your trip
- Use the trip planner to calculate route and transport mode.
- Search timetables for the best travel times.
- On the go, access public transport information through the Transport Info app, Real time apps, mobile website, google maps, social media, text messages or the call centre. For more information, see the Transport Info on the go page.
- Check for services changes and trackwork. Alternatively, view posters at your local CityRail station for service alterations on your line.
Visit our Tickets section for ticket choices, fares and places to purchase tickets.
Frequently purchased tickets
|Train||Purchase single, return and weekly train tickets from CityRail station ticket offices or ticket vending machines.|
|Bus||Purchase single trip bus tickets from the bus driver when boarding (excluding "Prepay Only" bus services). Weekly and TravelTen bus tickets for Sydney Buses and Newcastle Buses are available at many newsagents and TransitShops.|
|Ferry||Purchase single trip ferry tickets from a ticket office or ticket vending machine at selected wharves.|
|Light Rail||Purchase a Light rail tickets from conductors onboard Light rail
services for either one or two zones, or choose one of the integrated
transport tickets sold at transport outlets.
Remember to purchase your ticket before you travel otherwise you will be fined.
At your departure point, check indicators or signage for your train platform, bus stop, ferry wharf or light rail stop.
Have your ticket ready. You may have to insert it into a ticket machine to access the train platform, ferry wharf or bus.
Search accessible travel if you have limited mobility and require assistance.
- On train platforms stay behind the yellow line.
- When waiting for a bus, stand clear of the street gutter. On approach, signal the driver to stop and board through the front door.
- When boarding train, bus or ferry services, wait for passengers to exit first, and watch your step.
Travel safely and follow all instructions on the train, bus or ferry. Move inside the vehicle and do not obstruct the doorway areas or hang any part of your body out of the window.
Vacate priority seating for disabled, elderly or less mobile passengers. If there are no seats available during peak hour travel, hold on to a hand strap or other support item.
Smoking and alcohol
Smoking and drinking alcohol is not permitted at stations or on trains, wharves or on ferries, bus stops or on buses, light rail stops or on light rail.
Keep your possessions with you at all times. If you misplace or find anything, visit lost and found property on this website.
Sharing your journey are thousands of people just like you. Being conscious of others comfort when we travel is part the commitment we make when we choose to travel on public transport. A recent campaign highlighted the most common 'beasts' that travel our network. Let's keep beastly behaviour off our transport.
Train stations and ferry wharves
Most train stations and ferry wharves have automatic gates at the exit points. The ticket machine will retain single tickets and return tickets or periodicals will be returned to you.
Press the stop buzzer as you near your destination stop.